Dead chuffed. It went so well. 20 minutes from start to finish. A little emotion and negativity, but generally good communication and some really helpful progress on things that matter to us as a family.
Hopefully the children felt listened to and involved in family decisions as well as understanding how they need to contribute going forward to help with a smoother family life.
Just need to make sure that we continue with that weekly and also make sure things happen as a result of them, so the girls don’t get disheartened with it. Why do I think it was a success:
- sticking to 15/20 minutes with a clock in front of us
- agenda on the blackboard over the week that anyone could add to
- someone (not me!) made notes of what we’d agreed under each agenda item
- positive stuff in there as well as gripes and groans (this week our summer holiday)
- sat around kitchen table but not over a meal
It all sounds so ridiculously formal and cheesy. But do you know what, who cares! It worked for us. We had the best family meal afterwards – very little moaning about what I’d served and great communications.
I am so chuffed that our weekly family meetings have started as such a huge success. Really didn’t think that would be the case. Just need to keep it up now – every weekend!